If you choose an internship abroad, there is a very high chance that you are going to be part of a multi-cultural company. In fact, multiculturalism in the workplace is something that is only going to grow and grow as time goes on, as business is being conducted on an increasingly global scale. With that being said, read on to discover what you can expect to gain when interning at a multi-cultural business.
The benefits of interning at a multi-cultural organisation:
- Extend your network globally – One of the best things about interning at a multi-cultural company is the fact that you will be able to extend your network globally. Networking is one of the main benefits of an internship in any case. However, with such a company, it is likely that employees will move around on a regular basis, or that they will have connections with other professionals in different countries. You never know where this could take you, and so where in the world you could end up working.
- Creativity will thrive – In environments where people have different perspectives and varying ideas, creativity and insights will thrive. Through working with diverse individuals in exciting locations, you will open your mind to new ideas, as it gets the creative juices flowing. After all, if you work with similar people, and you always do what you have done, then how can you expect different results?
- Increase your adaptability – You will find that you become better at adapting to customer demands and fluctuating markets. This is because you have experience working with people of all talents and skills from diverse backgrounds. You have had to adapt in your working life, and this will stand you in good stead for the future.
- Improve your credibility – Aside from the points that have already been mentioned, you will also improve your credibility by interning at a multi-cultural company. Potential future employers will see this, and they will note the broader knowledge you have as well as your ability to adapt, and, therefore, your reputation will be much better.
- Experience the cultural differences – Last but not least, whether you choose an internship in the USA, UK, or somewhere different, such as Bali volunteering or doing a volunteer program in Africa, one thing you will gain by interning at a multi-cultural company is the benefits that come with experiencing cultural differences. This will open your mind to the different ways of working, which can only be a good thing.
Tips for interning in a cross-cultural environment:
- Respect the cultural differences when interning in such an environment.
- Always be polite and maintain high levels of professionalism.
- Be clear and brief to ensure your message is effectively communicated.
- Be confident, even if you don’t really feel it.
So there you have it: an insight into some of the different benefits you will gain by doing an internship abroad in a multi-cultural organisation. This is an amazing opportunity that should not be missed!