Home USA Fun Facts About the Napa Valley’s Wine Industry

Fun Facts About the Napa Valley’s Wine Industry

Napa Valley’s Wine Industry

The words ‘Napa Valley’ are near synonymous with wine tasting. Wine enthusiasts and travelers alike flock to the region year-round to experience all it has to offer. Explore these fun facts that are bound to make your trip more interesting.

From Cattle to Grapes

The Napa Valley region was originally used to raise cattle. The first winery opened in 1861 after the gold rush when an entrepreneurial thought leader purchased land in the region and planted a vineyard. The Paris Wine Tasting of 1976 was what really put Napa Valley on the map.

Follow the Leader

Currently, there are well over 400 registered wineries in the Napa Valley, many of which are family owned. San Francisco private guide tours is the best way to experience any of them. Nearly 80 percent of the acreage in the region grows some variety of red grapes and the other 20 percent grows white grapes.

Hidden Gems

Nearly 50 years ago, an acre of land in the Napa Valley could be purchased for about a grand or so. Today the average price is more than one hundred times that amount due to its immense beauty and abundant wine tasting rooms. The Napa Valley is California’s most popular tourist destination.

Two Regions

The Napa Valley is split into two distinct regions due to climate differences and they each produce different wines. Southern Napa Valley sits nearly at sea level where temperatures are more moderate. Northern Napa Valley sits more than 300 feet above sea level and experiences more extreme temperatures.

A Wine Economy

The wine produced in Napa Valley generates more than $50 billion (with a b) annually. It also generates more than 300,000 good paying jobs for hard working people. The region produces more than three dozen varieties of grapes annually. What a fascinating place to visit on vacation!

Value

White wine is a better value because wineries produce more wine per acre with white grapes. They grow in bigger clusters and are more abundant than their red counterparts.

Good Things

Despite its immense popularity and infusion of cash into the American economy, the Napa Valley is among the smallest wine producing regions in the country. The regions incredible Mediterranean climate can only be found on 2 percent of the earth’s surface.

Don’t Miss It!

The journey to Napa Valley starts with a beautiful scenic winding road boasting some of the best wineries and eateries in the country. Perhaps this explains why the vast majority of wines purchased in the region are consumed within 24 hours.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here